Achieving Immigration Success For Over 40 Years

We Bring Families Together

At the law office of Steven C. Thal, P.A., we help individuals and their families with a wide range of immigration issues. Our clients are often seeking citizenship in the United States for themselves, their fiancés/fiancées, spouses, parents or children. Some are considering adopting a child from another country, while others have questions about how immigration law affects their families while in the United States.

No matter how complex the immigration issues are that you face, we can talk with you clearly about the law and help you understand your options. Each situation is unique. Even though your situation may be similar to someone else’s, it is very likely that there are critical legal differences that set your case apart. For example, the type of family relationship in your case is important under the law. So are your immigration status and the status of your family members.

What Are Qualifying Family Relationships?

For family-based immigration purposes, qualifying family relationships are grouped into two main categories: immediate relatives and other close family members. Immediate relatives of U.S. citizens (spouses, unmarried children under age 21 and parents if the citizen is 21 or older) generally have an easier time immigrating to the United States because they do not face quotas on the amount of visas granted.

As a result, an immediate relative will be available for a visa number very quickly. However, matters can still be complicated. There is never a guarantee of being admissible for a green card and immediate relatives must still meet other stringent requirements.

Other close family members – including the relatives of permanent residents or more distant relatives of U.S. citizens – do face immigration quotas, which mean long and unpredictable wait times.

Obtaining A Green Card Through Marriage

The spousal relationship is one of the most common and easiest ways to immigrate to the U.S. At Steven C. Thal, P.A., we can file for an immigrant visa and permanent residence for spouses in one petition package called a “one-step.” Upon applying for the visa petition and adjustment of status to permanent residence, the spouse may obtain work authorization and often, permission to travel. We can guide you through this process, making sure that matters proceed quickly and easily.

It might take several appearances over a long period of time for a spouse to become a U.S. citizen. It is also possible to lose the status through certain actions. Our Minneapolis immigration lawyers often contact clients to remind them of upcoming deadlines, including a reminder of when it is time for you to apply for citizenship in the United States after a certain period of residency.

Meet With A Family Immigration Lawyer

To talk with an attorney about immigration issues that affect your family, contact Steven C. Thal, P.A., online or by calling us at 612-424-2942 or toll free at 800-265-7441.

Our attorneys are fluent in Spanish. Hablamos español.