Achieving Immigration Success For Over 40 Years

Guiding You Through The Citizenship Process

If you are considering applying for a United States citizenship, the attorneys at Steven C. Thal, P.A., can help. Our Minneapolis area immigration law firm represents clients facing matters related to citizenship. We can guide you through the naturalization process so that things run smoothly.

Each case is different, but there are some requirements that you must generally meet before you apply for a United States citizenship:

  • You must be 18 years old at the time of filing your application for naturalization.
  • You must be a lawful permanent resident (have your “green card”).
  • You must demonstrate continuous permanent residence in the United States for at least five years (or three if you are married to a U.S. citizen).
  • You must show that you have been physically present in the U.S. for 30 months (or 18 if you are married to a U.S. citizen).
  • You must show that you have lived for at least three months in the state or USCIS district where you are claiming residence.

If you are a lawful permanent resident who is considering applying for citizenship in the future, the decisions you make now can have a tremendous effect on your success. If you are arrested, detained or cited by the police, your citizenship can be put in jeopardy.

It can also be put at risk if you spend too much time outside of the U.S. If you want to preserve your residency for naturalization in the future but know that you will be spending significant time outside of the country, our lawyers can file an Application to Preserve Residence for Naturalization Purposes for you.

Obtaining Citizenship Through Parents And Grandparents

It’s surprising but true. It is not always easy to determine whether someone is a United States citizen or not. People born in the United States, including Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Guam, are generally citizens. So are people who were born abroad to U.S. citizen parents, although the paperwork is needed to prove this. At Steven C. Thal, P.A., we can assist in matters related to acquiring United States citizenship through a parent or grandparent. We can answer your questions about this complex matter and guide you through the process so that things run smoothly and effectively.

Obtaining Dual Citizenship

Do I have to give up the citizenship of my home country? At Steven C. Thal, P.A., we often hear this question from our clients. Many people worry about what they will have to give up to become United States citizens. They are relieved to discover that they can often keep their home citizenship.

Depending on what country you are from, you may be able to become a dual citizen of your home country and the United States. This is generally true for Canadians, Mexicans and people from the European Union (EU).

Expedited Naturalization

In some cases, it may be possible to waive the normal three-year U.S. residency requirement for naturalization. Expedited naturalization is available through military service. It is also available if you are married to a U.S. citizen who is working abroad in furtherance of U.S. trade. While the process is faster than it would otherwise be, recent changes in immigration law still require applicants to undergo background investigations, which can take several months or more.

Contact Our Naturalization Lawyer

If you are considering permanent residency, contact Steven C. Thal, P.A., by calling us at 612-424-2942 or toll free at 800-265-7441. We can answer your questions about immigration and citizenship, helping you understand your options.

Our attorneys are fluent in Spanish. Hablamos Español.