Achieving Immigration Success For Over 40 Years

L Visas For International Companies And Their Families

L visas are designated for executives, managers and employees of multinational companies who wish to work for a U.S. subsidiary or parent company. An applicant for an L visa must have worked for the subsidiary, affiliate or parent company abroad for at least one year in the previous three years.

The experienced immigration lawyers at Steven C. Thal, P.A., in Minnetonka, Minnesota, assist companies throughout the Midwest, nationally and internationally in filing for L visas and other work-related visas.

L-1 Visas For Executives And Managers

L-1 visas foster the expansion of both large and small companies in the U.S. by creating a path for a manager or executive to live and work in the U.S. An L-1 visa can also be used by nonprofit organizations, including religious organizations. There are two classifications of L-1 visas:

L-1A visas are issued to executive transferees who are coming to work in a managerial capacity for an existing subsidiary, affiliate or parent company. An L-1A visa also can be issued to a manager who is tasked with establishing a new U.S. office for a company. An L-1A visa is granted for one year if a company is new to the U.S. or for three years if a company has existed in the U.S. for more than one year. It can be extended in two-year increments, but the total stay on an L-1 visa cannot exceed seven years.

L-1B visas are issued to employees who have proprietary knowledge about a company’s product or services and need to work in the U.S. to train other company employees. Like an L-1A visa, an L-1B visa can be used by a company that does not have an office in the U.S. in order to allow an employee with special knowledge to create a U.S. office. An L-1B visa is issued for three years and can be extended once for a two-year period.

An L-2 visa allows a spouse and unmarried children under 21 years old to be admitted to the U.S. A spouse in the U.S. on an L-2 visa can be authorized to work by filing Form I-765.

Contact Our Lawyers Now

We work with individuals and employers to verify that workers qualify for an L visa and help collect the necessary documentation for an L visa application. To schedule a meeting, call 612-424-2942 or toll free at 800-265-7441, or use our online contact form.