Achieving Immigration Success For Over 40 Years

We Help Immigrants Obtain Permanent Residence In The U.S.

Permanent residence can be obtained in several ways. It can be obtained through employment or through a family relationship such as adoption or marriage with a U.S. citizen. If you are seeking permanent residence in the United States for yourself or a loved one, contacting an attorney at Steven C. Thal, P.A., is the best way to help matters proceed smoothly and efficiently.

Our Minneapolis area immigration law firm is focused on achieving the best possible results for clients seeking permanent residence. We can assist with a broad spectrum of matters related to permanent residence, including:

  • Adjustment of status
  • Assistance with consular processing
  • Renewing or replacing a lawful permanent resident card
  • Removing conditions on lawful permanent residency

Permanent Residence Through A Family Relationship

When a foreign-born individual marries a U.S. citizen, it is possible for the foreign-born individual to obtain a green card based on the marriage. Each year, more than 400,000 citizens of the U.S. marry foreign-born persons and petition for them to obtain permanent residence in the U.S. These spouses are considered “immediate relatives” under the immigration laws and are eligible to obtain a green card relatively quickly compared to other foreign-born persons seeking permanent residence.

It is also possible for a U.S. citizen to obtain a temporary visa for a fiancée or fiancé. The two may get married once he or she arrives in the United States.

Green cards are also available based on adoption. United States citizens who wish to adopt a child from a foreign country can apply for a green card for the child. At Steven C. Thal, P.A., we can guide adoptive parents through the foreign adoption process and answer questions about the immigration and naturalization requirements.

Each year, more than 500,000 people obtain permanent residence in the United States based on sponsorship by a family member. U.S. immigration laws allow citizens to sponsor spouses, children, adult sons and daughters, parents, brothers and sisters. Lawful permanent residents may sponsor spouses, children and unmarried adult sons and daughters.

Permanent Residency Through Employment

The lawyers at Steven C. Thal, P.A., can assist people in becoming permanent residents of the United States through employment-based petitions in several categories:

  • EB-1 petitions for persons of extraordinary ability, outstanding professors and researchers, executives and managers of multinational employers
  • EB-2 petitions for persons of exceptional ability and persons whose jobs require an advanced university degree or its equivalent
  • EB-3 petitions for professionals, skilled and unskilled workers
  • EB-4 petitions for religious workers and other “special immigrants”
  • EB-5 petitions for investors

A local company wanted to employ an individual from Canada to work for their company in Minnesota. We were able to bring the person into the United States through the North American Free Trade Agreement. The man worked in Minnesota for a year and became interested in obtaining permanent residency. His employer was willing to sponsor him for a green card. To help things run smoothly for him, we helped him apply for an H-1B visa. The visa will be in place for three years and the man will be eligible for a green card more quickly than he otherwise would have. He will be able to keep extending his H-1B visa status until permanent residence status is available.

Contact A Permanent Residence Lawyer

If you are considering permanent residency, contact the Minneapolis lawyers at Steven C. Thal, P.A., by calling us at 612-424-2942 or toll free at 800-265-7441.