Achieving Immigration Success For Over 35 Years

Religious Workers May Be Able To Obtain R-1 Nonimmigrant Religious Visas

Religious workers, such as a minister or member of a religious governing body, may be able to obtain an R-1 nonimmigrant religious visa to the United States. This visa is specifically designed to allow immigrants who work for bona fide, nonprofit religious organizations to come to the U.S. to work temporarily. Successfully obtaining an R-1 visa can be a tricky prospect without knowledgeable help from a proven immigration attorney.

The knowledgeable lawyers at Steven C. Thal, P.A., have decades of experience with a variety of work-related immigration matters. We will help you navigate the challenges of your R-1 visa application or whatever immigration problems you may face. You can call our office now at 612-424-2942 or toll-free at 800-265-7441 to schedule a consultation.

Who Can Get An R-1 Nonimmigrant Religious Visa?

There are stringent requirements for religious workers who wish to obtain an R-1 visa. Just a few of these requirements include:

  • A job occupation that is primarily related to carrying out traditional religious functions
  • The nonprofit religious organization that the immigrant will work for must have evidence of its Internal Revenue Service 501(c)(3) designation
  • Proof of the immigrant’s salaried or nonsalaried compensation

Immigrants who successfully obtain an R-1 visa may be able to stay in the U.S. for up to 30 months and potentially extend their stay for up to five years. Visa holders must notify the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) within 15 days if they lose employment.

Get Trusted Help From Experienced Immigration Lawyers

We can help you from the beginning of the R-1 nonimmigrant religious process. No matter your location, you can call our Minnetonka office now by calling 612-424-2942 or toll-free at 800-265-7441 to schedule a consultation. We are also available by email.

We have attorneys fluent in Spanish. Hablamos español.